Wage: £12002 per year
Hours: 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday. Term time only (39 weeks per year)
Location: London, E15 1AJ
Expected duration: 24 months
Brief overview of the role
The London Academy of Excellence are looking for a Science Technician Apprentice. The successful candidate will provide laboratory and technical support to the Science department, developing their skills and knowledge in a leading sixth form college in East London.
- Ensure satisfactory maintenance of laboratories, storage rooms and preparation rooms, and liaison on safety and relevant legal requirements.
- Oversee the provision of apparatus and materials for microbiological, radioactive and chemical work, and compliance with COSHH regulations governing the same.
- Take a lead role in the design, development and maintenance of specialist resources and/or long-term projects and offer professional guidance, assistance and support to sixth formers & teachers on the practical aspects of the curriculum.
- Be responsible for setting up and monitoring systems used in the management and control of practical resources.
- Oversee the maintenance of the Department’s specialist resources, including animal and plant collections, and observing Home Office regulations governing the same.
- Identify equipment needs in consultation with teaching staff and participate in the selection of new items. Advise on best-value suppliers.
- Be flexible within the broad remit of the post.
- Attend school events as required.
- Contributing to the establishment and maintenance of a caring, positive, safe and stimulating environment for each sixthformer at LAE;
- The above list of job duties is not exclusive or exhaustive and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post. Job descriptions may be reviewed to ensure they are an accurate representation of the post.
- Strong communication, both written and verbal
- Good interpersonal skills
- Manual dexterity
- Proficiency in IT
- An eagerness to learn and develop
- The ability to take seek support and take initiative where appropriate.
- Personally responsible
- Adaptable to change
- C/4 in GCSE English, Maths and Science (or equivalent)
The knowledge, skills and behaviours developed on the apprenticeship give apprentices the opportunity to progress into a full time role as a Science Technician. The Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship is a widely recognised qualification that gives apprentices the potential to consider a variety of laboratory-based fields.
Things to consider
LAE is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post including checks with past employers, the DBS, and an enhanced CRB disclosure.
All employees must comply with LAE’s Safeguarding & Welfare Policy. If in the course of carrying out the duties of the post the post holder becomes aware of any actual or potential risks to the safety and welfare of our students, these concerns must be reported immediately in accordance with the policy.
Training to be provided
Youthforce will be providing the apprenticeship training for the successful candidate. Upon completion of this apprenticeship, you will have achieved:
Level 3 Laboratory Technician apprenticeship standard, which includes:
- NVQ Level 3 in Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities
- Level 2 functional skills in maths and English (if required)